Skip to main content

Ron HockwaltAcademies

Welcome to Ron Hockwalt Academies-Where Students Succeed!
Mrs. Lorraine Gomez » Work Permit

Work Permit


Many students enter the world of work as minors (under 18 years of age). Students work for a wide variety of reasons—to earn income, gain on-the-job experience, or connect what they are learning in the classroom to the real world.

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the location of the employer as well as the number of hours a minor may work.


Work Permits are issued through the Independent Study Office.
Once the downloaded permit application below has been completed by student, parent and HIRING EMPLOYER, scan or take picture of form and email to Mrs. Gomez @ [email protected]
The application will be processed and emailed back to you.
If you have any questions, please send Mrs. Gomez an email. 
* You no longer need a work permit once you graduate from high school.
The work permit is for your protection and safety. It ensures that employers carry worker compensation insurance. It reminds employers that a student's first job is school and a paid job is secondary. Also, that students are not allowed to work late hours on a school night.
You may also refer to the link below for additional questions regarding the work permit regulations.